Sunday, August 15, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Never in my whole life has it taken me 4 hours to get to Toronto. It took more than an hour to get from Vaughan to the 401. Ridiculous.
I left here at 1pm. I figured I'd get to Romni by 3:30 or 4:00 at the latest, plenty of time to browse and pick up my 2 balls of Silkroad Aran.
I got there at 4:58. Literally. When I drove by, the door was open but by the time I'd found a parking spot and run around the corner, they were closed.
So a credit card is thawing out to see if they'll send it up to me. What a drag. I so wanted to have Chiral finished this weekend. All the finished pieces are blocked. The cap on 1 sleeve, the button band and the ruffle are all that is left to do. Dammit!!
So of course, I needed to start another project. I have spent the entire afternoon swatching.
Swatch #1 was for Viola, from the misplaced French Girl Knits. Boo hoo!! I HATE the yarn I bought for it. Too slippery by half. I couldn't even swatch it properly, no matter what type of needle I used. I tried metal, bamboo, and birch. No luck. It's so slippery that I couldn't get an even tension. And I never have trouble with even tension.
Swatch #2 was for the Vine Yoke Cardigan from the wonderful Ysolda. I think the Paton's Classic Wool will work for it, but I have to get a 5.5mm circular to do it. I rarely work with needles that big, and actually had to swatch on dpns! Swatch worked, but I'm just deciding if I want to use that wool for the Vine Yoke or for: Samus. I love this cardi. I printed off the pattern ages ago and have had it in my binder waiting for me. Every time I go through my sweater binder it calls to me. I think perhaps the heathery style of this wool will be better for it. And until I make up my mind, it doesn't really matter, because I need a 5mm circular to do it.
So, I began the Green Autumn, aka Druid Mittens. They look like they'll be challenging enough for me to not get bored, but simple enough that I can put them down to finish Chiral and pick up again without any trouble. Then there is the Druidess Beret designed to match. They'll look cute with my black fall coat, when it's nippy out but not cold enough for a winter coat.
But damn it all, I wanted to finish Chiral!!!!! Freaking Toronto traffic!!! This is why I live in Muskoka.

No comments: