Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Stop the insanity!!

This is my beautiful new scarf in progress. It's made of incredibly gorgeous, hand dyed, made-in-Canada silk. It weighs next to nothing and feels amazing. I can't even describe it. And the flash does not do the colour justice.
See those little blobs? The pattern of 3 blobs in a triangle? They're called nupps. Rhymes with soup. They serve 2 purposes. 1: They make a lovely pattern, and 2: You know the item is hand knit, because a knitting machine cannot reproduce them. Ah, those wiley Estonians.
I think there needs to be a 3rd nupp purpose: to drive the knitter insane. In order to make a nupp, you knit into the same stitch anywhere from 5 to 9 times, depending on the fineness of the yarn. Then, on the wrong side, you purl all those stitches together. In this pattern, it's 7 stitch nupps. The knitting isn't the problem. It's the purling them all together that's maddening!! But, I think that after 4 chart rounds I'm finally making the nupp loose enough that purling them together isn't as painful as it was to begin with. And I'm not missing any of the stitches now. Knock wood.
I'm feeling about this scarf the same way I feel about the chicken & asparagus risotto I made last night for dinner. It's going to take me a long time, but damn, it's going to be rewarding when it's done!!
Damn. Now I'm hungry. Mmmm, risotto.....

No comments: